"This was my dad's go-to recipe for meatloaf that always included venison we'd harvested during our hunting trips. He taught me to cook by intuition rather than a recipe, and that the key to success is to pause during the prep stage and taste the mixture as you go, to ensure the seasoning is perfect every time." - MikeFor the Meatloaf
1 lb ground venison
1 lb ground bison
1 16oz package uncured bacon (bonus if you can find jalapeno-flavored!)
1 medium sweet onion
1/2 green or yellow bell pepper
1 12oz can low-sodium tomato sauce
1 8oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves, crushed
1 tbsp safflower oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
For the Basting Sauce
2/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp Lea & Perrins
1 tbsp yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop onion and bell pepper in a food processor.
- Combine all ingredients for meatloaf in a large mixing bowl, mixing thoroughly with hands.
- Season to taste by microwaving a small ball of mixture, taste test, and adjusting the seasonings to your liking.
- Press mixture into a loaf pan, covering the top by laying bacon strips over the loaf (you can basket-weave if you're an overachiever).
- Combine basting sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Bake for 1 hour, then baste with sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve with leftover basting sauce.