by Chelsea Cassens
While we’re not all on the Keto Diet right now, a lot of us are attempting to eat more healthy, unprocessed, and fresh foods (while also having a delicious taste). Sometimes pretending you’re eating something deep fried can trick those unfortunate cravings and relieve unwanted temptations. Insert air fryer into your kitchen arsenal.
One of the wonderful things about wild game meat is that it can be anything you want it to be. You don’t have to have a culinary degree to make it taste good…..just the hunting instinct that lives inside each of us, a sharp knife, and heat.
One particular evening I was craving some restaurant style, crispy, (and terribly unhealthy) chimichangas. Lucky for me, I had some defrosted elk burger and a pantry full of options. Then followed a deliciously, completely made up, recipe for Air Fryer Wild Game Chimichangas.
Use any wild game you have on hand. For seasonings, use whatever you prefer, or if you're not feeling creative, use a pre-measured package of taco seasoning. I enjoy making a concoction of my own “taco seasoning” and came up with this combination for this particular recipe. I also didn’t measure a single spice. Go with what feels right.
½ diced onion
¼ red pepper diced
1 can drained black beans (some might prefer a can of refried beans)
Burrito size flour tortillas
Shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
Avocado oil or olive oil spray
Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees
1. Add a small amount of olive oil to your cast iron pan and heat to medium
2. Add ground elk meat and season with seasoning spices (or taco seasoning packet)
3. Brown meat for 2-3 mintues
4. Add diced onion, minced garlic, and diced red pepper
5. Cook together for 2-3 minutes
6. Add can of drained black beans
7. Cook filling together for another 2 minutes, making sure ground meat is cooked through.
8. Assemble your tortilla with a small layer of cheese, topped with your cooked filling, and topped again with cheese.
9. Fold tortilla so nothing will seep from the ends and roll tightly without breaking tortilla
10. Spray folded burritos with avocado oil spray.
11. Cook in preheated air fryer for 5 minutes