As we wrap up prime fishing season and head into hunting season, it’s time to think about eating all the trout caught while staying active outdoors all summer! I don’t know about you, but by this time of year, I have had plenty of smoked, baked, and grilled trout. This recipe is an easy way to use up a lot of fresh or frozen catch.
- 4 whole trout cleaned and gutted
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp lemon peel
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ onion finely chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg beaten
- Bake trout at 400 degrees F for 10-15 min until flaky
- Peel skin off, flake the meat, and transfer to bowl. Ensure all bones are removed.
- Combine seasonings, onion, breadcrumbs, and beaten egg with shredded trout meat in a bowl
- Form into ¼ cup patties or cakes. Roll into the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet and cook the cakes until they're golden brown. Serve with tartar or horseradish sauce.