These tasty squirrel cakes are delicious when served with the spicy slaw on the side and a cold beverage
My wife and I are both avid hunters. I introduced her to the outdoors through deer hunting when we started dating. After taking her first deer (whitetail doe) she was hooked. We are both good cooks and enjoy cooking together.
My recipe was developed out of necessity, due to an abundance of squirrels from a successful 2017 season. We usually take off the opening day of squirrel season (Aug 15 in Indiana), and hunt at my grandpa’s cabin. Our son was born in December 2016 and we were unable to get a babysitter for the opener. Lucky for us, our beech trees in the back yard were loaded with beech nuts and squirrels! We were able to limit out several times during the season from our back patio between naptime and taking turns feeding our son.
I hope you enjoy our squirrel cakes with spicy slaw.
Squirrel Cakes with Spicy SlawAndrew Weisner
- Slow cooker
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flake
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 shakes Crystal hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ head purple cabbage
- 1 head cabbage
- 4 carrots
- 4 squirrels
- 2 cups stock
- 1¼ cup club crackers crushed
- ⅓ cup celery chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 key limes juiced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeño chopped and seeded
- 1 egg
- Avocado oil
- Old Bay seasoning
- ½ tbsp salt
- Combine slaw dressing ingredients, mix well, and set aside.
- Finely shred purple cabbage, cabbage and carrots (I use a potato peeler making 1in stokes to shred carrots).
- Combine slaw mix with slaw dressing 30-45 min before serving.
- Liberally season 4 whole squirrels with Old Bay seasoning and place in a crockpot with 2 cups stock. Cook on high until squirrels are fork tender and can shred off bone. Drain liquid, shred meat, remove bones and set aside.
- In a food processor combine celery, onion, green pepper, carrot, garlic, stone ground mustard, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, and Jalapeño. Pulse for about 20-30 sec until items are blended.
- In a mixing bowl add crushed Club crackers, mayo, egg, lemon zest and mixture from processor and squirrel meat. Combine ingredients.
- Place a cast iron skillet with avocado oil on medium-ish heat. I have a piece of crap electric stovetop with a 1-10 setting. I use number 4 for reference.
- Patty squirrel cake in hand and place in oil. Squirrel cake should be about as round as baseball and about 1in thick (should make 10-12).
- Cook 3-4 min each side or until cooked all the way through.
- Plate slaw, add squirrel cake and serve with lemon wedge.
- This dish is best accompanied with an ice-cold beer. An IPA or Pale ale cut through the heat of the slaw. Lime beers (Bud Light Lime, Uinta Lime Pilsner) also pair well.