Flavorful bear ham is piled atop a Hawaiian roll with juicy pineapple and melted cheese
When you think of eating bear meat, you probably don’t think of comfort food, but you should get yourself out of that box. This is the ultimate comfort food. Hawaiian Bear Ham Sliders might just be the best party, tailgate, or movie night food there is.
The first step to making this recipe is to get a bear (this is the hardest part). Step two, cure and smoke a ham (easy, just watch this). Step three… see below:
Hawaiian Black Bear SlidersMichael Cravens
- 1 lb bear ham sliced
- 1 pineapple
- 1 pkg Hawaiian sweet rolls
- ¾ lb Swiss cheese sliced
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice your bear ham as thin as you can. It’s not necessary to go crazy here, but the thinner the better. Then, set aside.
- Slice your pineapple into slabs and throw them on a hot grill until they have some nice charred grill marks on both sides. When done, chop the pineapple slabs into ¼-inch chunks and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Try and keep your rolls all connected. Every time I’ve done this, I’ve lost a few, but just do your best. Take large serrated knife and slice the whole ‘set’ of rolls into two sheets, a top and a bottom. Place the bottom sheet into the casserole dish. Layer your sliced bear ham evenly over the bottom sheet, follow with your Swiss cheese, and finally your pineapple. Replace the top sheet of Hawaiian rolls.
- In a sauce pan, melt your butter and add the mustard, poppy seeds, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine. Pour this amazing mixture over the top of the sliders, taking care to spread it evenly with a paint brush or spatula. Cover with aluminum foil and bake covered for about 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Uncover and cook for about five more minutes, keeping an eye so they don’t get overly toasted.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and serve immediately.