Last night, I helped catch tonight’s dinner. There is no reason in the whole wide world that you shouldn’t eat largemouth bass. I love crappie, bluegill, and walleye, but so often people give me a funny look when I tell them we eat largemouth.
We had some friends over to fish the bass pond. I caught three and kept two. The last one went back to the water. Chance caught one, and his buddy, Nathan, caught two. You can’t ask for a better night pond-side.
We ended up deep-fried them along with some crinkle french fries, and we are all stuffed (the Munchkin included). Any side will work well with these deep-fried nuggets! Here’s how we did it:
Deep Fried Largemouth Bass
- Deep Fryer or deep frying pan
- A mess of largemouths we used three
- Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri or other fish seasonings
- Frying oil
- Clean and fillet 3 medium-sized largemouth bass
- Cut fillets lengthwise against the grain in 1" strips
- Cut the strips into 1" cubes
- Heat oil in deep fryer or a deep frying pan to 350 degrees
- Drop cubes of largemouth bass into a large freezer bag containing enough Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri (or seasoning of your choice) to coat. Shake bag to coat all cubes.
- Drop coated cubes into the fryer. Fry fish until the cubes are golden brown and floating on top of the oil.
- Remove fish and place on paper towels to drain. Serve hot with fresh French fries or the side of your choice!