Thanks to the over 70 entrants that shared their food and stories with us for the First Annual Hunt To Eat Recipe Contest! After a thorough and extremely difficult culling, we recipe tested the top three finalists, and we’re happy to announce that Alejandro Bueno’s Venison Tacos Al Pastor is the winner! With incredible prizes from Patagonia, Stone Glacier, YETI, FHF Gear, Benchmade Knife Company, and Vortex Optics, each top ten winner is receiving something special to add to their packs for the long haul.
Alejandro Bueno’s story
Thanks to a couple close friends I have truly been able to become passionate about the outdoors, no one in my family hunted before. Starting to hunt at 20 years old was definitely different than my friends who started young. Being able to see things that many others often miss out in the woods was truly fascinating. I quickly became intrigued in processing all my game and making sure to share with my friends and family. I was able to combine my passion for cooking with my passion for hunting. I wanted to make recipes that everyone would want to eat, which brings me to how I came up with venison al pastor.
I hold this recipe near and dear to my heart, this recipe was originally developed with pork and was to mimic the popular al pastor made on a spit at many taquerias in Mexico. After a few trial runs it quickly became a family favorite.
Having this new passion for hunting I quickly wanted to try this recipe with venison. At the time my parents were hesitant on eating wild game but since I was so persistent on them trying a taco they did. After they had it they asked for seconds and I believe they truly understood my passion for the outdoors and wild game. This was truly special to me because I felt like I was able to share the story of my hunt and my passion of the outdoors with my family through food. Ever since then I have been cooking venison for friends and family who are hesitant in eating wild game and have been very successful in being able to have them enjoy it while sharing the story of my hunt and my hunt to eat life style with them.
Venison Tacos Al Pastor
- 1-1 1/2 lbs venison steak or stew meat
- 8 oz pineapple bits
- 3 tsp Lawry's sesaoned salt
- 4 oz chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 8 tortillas
- Cut venison into ½ inch cubes
- In a blender, mix chipotle peppers, only the juice from the can of pineapples, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and 3 garlic cloves. Blend until chipotle peppers form a sauce.
- In a bowl, mix cubed venison, pineapple tidbits and blended sauce. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Heat cast iron pan on high heat. Add cooking oil. Once hot add marinated meat to pan and cook. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until meat has browned and any liquid has evaporated. (Cooking times may vary)
- Warm tortillas on cast iron skillet or your preferred method.
- Make tacos with tortillas, venison, cilantro, onion and your favorite salsa. Enjoy!